Circle J&B Ranch

Status: Sold
Acres: 3,266 +/-
Type: Hunting Land, Ranches, Commercial
Address: 6094 US Hwy 283
City, State: Seymour, Texas
County: Baylor
ZIP Code: 76380
Lat/Long: 33.3984649, -99.2122383
Presented By: TT Ranch Group
Dwelling Sq Ft: 8,000
Bedrooms: 7
Bathrooms: 8

Description

Circle J&B Ranch is the type of world class deer and quail ranch that doesn't come around often. In fact, this property has never previously been offered on the market. Situated on 3,266 plus-minus acres of topography rich land just south of Seymour, this highly improved sporting paradise is being offered turnkey and has great cattle potential as well. Boasting the highest point in Baylor county and superb water features for the area, this ranch has undergone nearly two decades of intense land and wildlife management.

The custom-built main residence overlooks a natural rock bottom swimming pool, which spills into a spring fed trophy fishing lake stocked with bass and hybrid striper. The highest point in Baylor County is located on the property and provides stunning panoramic views of the surrounding land and the Salt Fork of the Brazos River below. Approximately 1600 acres is under high fence and has been meticulously managed for trophy white-tailed deer. The ranch offers renowned quail hunting and is a recipient of the T Boone Pickens Award. Late outdoor legends such as Ray Sasser and Ray Murski were regular guests of the ranch in pursuit of some of the finest quail hunting in the state of Texas. This unique property was created with extreme attention to detail, has been meticulously maintained and is a rare find.

The land now occupied by Circle J&B Ranch has a rich history with the era of westward expansion of the cattle industry as it was a part of the Millett Cattle Ranch founded in 1874. More information on the historical significance can be found at the end.

Location:

The property is located 6.5 miles south of Seymour, TX and 133 miles northwest of Fort Worth. The main entrance is off of US-183. Seymour Airport is 7 miles from the main entrance and can accommodate Turboprop and Mid-Size Jets. Seymour Airport is approximately a 26-minute flight from Dallas, TX.

Habitat & Topography:

The ranch offers a variety of mixed-use habitat within the Central Great Plains Ecoregion. The majority of the Prickly Pear Cactus has been removed for improved grazing and quail hunting. Numerous pastures have been cleared for grazing purposes and to open up the land in various areas. Multiple food plots are in place to supplement the white-tailed deer population. 72 miles of tilled strips have been installed for the quail hunting. Native grasses are prevalent throughout and mature hardwoods are located along Millers Creek and Horse Creek, which both traverse the property. Extensive improvements have been made to the environment around the residence and in other areas of the ranch. The soils primarily consist of clay and clay loam. The main body of the ranch has approximately 174 plus-minus ft in elevation changes and includes the highest point in Baylor County. The property has a good blend of cleared pasture for grazing and hunting, as well as sharp topography changes, which are most desirable in this geographical region for scenic views and hunting purposes.

Wildlife, Hunting:

This is one of the most celebrated quail ranches and prominent typical white-tailed deer ranches in the state of Texas. A premier management team with a combined 75+ years of experience on this ranch is in place and several studies have been performed on the wildlife to maximize results. A large portion of the ranch has been designated for only hunting and has not been grazed in 20 years.

Quail - There are 82 quail feeders and ample water stations in place. An annual supplemented release program of 4000 quail on average has been in place for many years. These consist of Bobwhites, Gambel's and Tennessee Red Quail. Approximately 2000 bushels of wheat are used to enhance the quail food source per year.

Deer - A world class Texas Animal Health Commission certified white-tailed deer breeding operation was in place until recently. Custom breeding facilities were designed and built on site including 62 acres of 16 individual pens. The breeding program had been in existence for 17 years and never strayed from its goal to produce giant typical antler growth. This unwavering dedication has yielded typical scores close within a couple inches of the world record. At the discretion of both ownership and management, these deer have been either released onto the ranch in order to improve genetics within the hunting herd or sold within the market. These genetics live on within the ranch. Many excellent blinds and feeders are in place. The ranch is set up to hunt 1600 acres under high fence and approximately 1666 acres as free range. The wildlife has been strictly managed under the Texas Parks and Wildlife Management Lands White-Tailed Deer Program.

Other - The ranch also offers abundant dove, turkey, hog and predator hunting opportunities. A 50-acre sunflower/millet field is in place to concentrate the dove hunting.

Water, Fishing:

This property has superior surface water for the area. Spring fed Millers Creek runs through the heart of the ranch. Horse Creek also crisscrosses a large portion of the southern half of the ranch. There is a 12 plus-minus acre lake which is estimated to be 30 feet deep and contains Crappie and Catfish. It can be filled as needed using a 12' line and 3000 GPM pump running from Millers Creek. There is another 3.5 plus-minus acre which is estimated to be 36 feet deep and has an aerating system in place. It is stocked with Florida Bass and Hybrid Striper, which have been caught in excess of 10 pounds. It also has a covered floating dock with a fish feeder. There are numerous stock tanks located throughout the ranch. City water is run to each of the three homes. There is another large lake site existing on the southern end of the ranch.

Homes:

Main Residence - This beautifully designed 8000 sqft home sits on the side of a hill overlooking the rock bottom swimming pool and lake below. Constructed in 2006 by well-known builder, Greg Alford, this 7 bedroom and 8 bath masterpiece is set back within the ranch and surrounded by peaceful tranquility. The home is built on slab and pier, includes a 600 sqft owner's suite with fireplace, executive office with fireplace, game room, wine cellar and fireproof gun room / safe room.

Lake House - This 3 bedroom and 2 bath home is situated adjacent to the 3.5 plus-minus acre lake and was utilized as the owners' home before the main lodge was built. It is very comfortable and in good condition.

Guest / Foreman's Home - Located closer to the main entrance of the ranch and near the dog kennels and equipment barn. This well-built 3 bedroom and 2 bath home is currently functioning as a foreman's home. It has been refurbished and is also in nice condition.

Other Structures:

Large equestrian barn with 10 stalls, 2 tack rooms, medicine room and feed storage. Large metal barn for equipment storage. Smaller metal barn used for UTV / vehicle storage and workshop. Covered dog kennels with evaporative cooling.

Horse Barn: 60'x70' | Implement Shed: 30'x40' | Shop: 60'x50' with full length car port | Deer Working Facility: 50'x60'

Additional Improvements:

Electric gated entrance

Four station clay shooting course and rifle range

Cattle pens

Grain Storage

Fuel Storage

Covered cabana and outdoor kitchen

Over one mile of asphalt roads

Multiple electric powered video surveillance towers located throughout the ranch

Taxes:

The property is under 1-D-1 Open Space Agriculture tax exemption.

Other:

John Deere Tractor, D 6C Caterpillar Dozer, Road Maintainer, Caterpillar Skid Steer, Water Truck, full array of hunting vehicles including a new fleet of 4 passenger Kawasaki Mules. Some furnishings and equipment included with a qualifying offer. Contact broker for further details.

Minerals:

Contact broker for details.

Millett Cattle Ranch History

In 1874, the Millett Cattle Ranch was established in Baylor County. Later referred to as the "largest cattle ranch in North Texas", Millett Ranch was founded and owned by the three Millett brothers, Eugene, Alonzo, and Hiram. 


In 1856, Eugene, the oldest son, took $350 to Mexico to buy cheap ponies which he drove back to Texas and sold for a profit. He continued the business until 1860 when the sons returned to their father's ranch in Seguin at the close of the war, finding out that it had all been destroyed. With the help of neighbors, they gathered what they could, sold the stock, and invested in Longhorn Cattle. In 1868, they drove their herd of steers to northern markets. In 1875, the Milletts joined forces with four cousins and made the largest northern drive on record.

The brothers only raised a small part of the cattle they had driven, so Captain Eugene decided to build a spread in Baylor County to experiment in crossing purebred northern animals with Texas breeds. In the midst of intensifying crime and chaos in the area, the Milletts decided to begin their ranch by purchasing 6,000 cattle in 1874.

The Milletts built their headquarters atop a high spot about 200 yards from Miller Creek and a mile southwest of the Brazos River. The cattle ran by the ranch house, giving an unobstructed view of the herds bound for Dodge City.

They began improving their herds the first year, eventually developing a fine herd of 300 Shorthorns that couldn't be excelled in color, weight, and beauty. They expanded the ranch, and at the end of three years, 33,000 head of cattle existed on their range from the North Elm in Throckmorton County, north through Baylor to Beaver Creek in Wilbarger County, and took in a block of Knox County. Their annual stock trade amounted to a half a million dollars. Captain Millett was frequently referred to as the "Cattle King of Northwest Texas".

Early in 1881, the Milletts received an offer for their Miller Creek property. They accepted the offer, and with a transaction of 25,000 cattle and 1,000 horses at $12 per head (not including/counting calves), it became the largest transaction of livestock ever in northwest Texas. The purchasers owned the Continental Land and Cattle Company, and used Hash Knife and HS brands on their stock, including those from the Millett sale.

Circle J&B Ranch Video

Interactive Map

Contact Agent

TT Ranch Group

Email: info@ttranchgroup.com

Phone: (214) 659-1554

Contact Agent

Close

Join Our Newsletter

  • This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.